MAKES 24 | IBS-FRIENDLY | VEGETARIAN
‘Tis the season for indulging. Enjoy these rich and creamy hazelnut-filled chocolate cups — the ultimate festive treat without any painful consequences
I discovered this deliciously naughty treat a couple of years ago and they have now become a festive tradition — it almost wouldn’t be Christmas without them and my family can’t get enough. Of course, they aren’t just restricted to the most wonderful time of the year, these nut cups make a great after dinner treat or coffee accompaniment in any season. Despite being naughty, they are definitely on the nice list! While they may sound like a cause of digestive discomfort, there’s surprisingly little in these which will give your gut any reason to grumble.
I tend to use 70% or higher dark chocolate for a reduced lactose content which makes these the ultimate gut-friendly delight, but you may prefer to use milk chocolate if lactose isn’t a problem for you or you’re not a fan of dark. Arla’s Lactofree Spreadable is great butter alternative for baking too.
With just over two weeks until Christmas, they are a quick and easy addition to any party buffet.
- 300g dark chocolate, chopped
- 125g lactose free butter, softened and chopped
- 250g icing sugar
- 140g hazelnut butter
- 25g hazelnuts
- Approx 24 foil petit four cases
- 2 mini muffin tins
- Gold edible glitter spray for decoration (optional)
- Tip half of the chocolate into a bowl and place over a pan of simmering water. Once melted, remove from the heat and stir in the remaining chocolate. Place the petit four cases into the holes of the mini muffin tins, then put 1tsp of the melted chocolate into each one, leaving about a third of the chocolate in the bowl. Gently swirl each petit four case with your hand to ensure the chocolate coats the sides. Pop the tins in the fridge to firm up while you make the filling.
- Put the butter and icing sugar in a large bowl. Beat well with an electric whisk or wooden spoon until the mixture becomes light and creamy. Stir in the hazelnut butter.
- Remove the chocolate cups from the fridge and using a teaspoon, fill them with the nut mixture. If your reserved chocolate has hardened, melt again as before. Once melted, carefully spoon it over the top of each cup to seal in the nut butters.
- Top each cup with a whole hazelnut, then decorate with edible glitter spray if desired. Chill for at least two hours. These chocolate nut cups will keep in the fridge for one week.
Love this? Have a festive recipe you want to share? Get in touch.
Recipe credit: BBC Good Food