MAKES 9 | IBS-FRIENDLY | VEGETARIAN & VEGAN | GLUTEN-FREE
We all deserve a treat from time to time, but we shouldn’t have to pay the price. Here’s a tasty choice that ticks all the gut-friendly boxes…
These divine treats are just as delicious as they sound! The smell as I removed them from the fridge was the equivalent of how I’d imagine Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory to smell. That and the fact they are gentle on the stomach meant I just had to share them with you!
I used Whole Earth smooth peanut butter for this recipe which is a high-fibre natural source of plant-based protein that contains no added sugar. Plus, word has it that your gut microbes need dark chocolate (yay) as beneficial bacteria at the end of our digestive tract ferment both the antioxidants and the fibre in cocoa to help keep our body’s functioning healthily. More good news, popcorn is naturally low in FODMAPs and, therefore, suitable for IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) sufferers.
The decorative swirls on top will impress your friends without it taking you too much time or effort as there’s absolutely no baking required! The perfect lockdown treat to lift a loved one’s spirits or cut into small squares for a small after dinner indulgence.
Peanut butter and chocolate-lovers, you won’t be disappointed!
- 150g dairy-free spread
- 100ml maple syrup
- 340g Whole Earth Smooth Original Peanut Butter
- 100g rolled gluten-free oats
- 100g sweet and salty popcorn
- 200g dark chocolate
- Line the base and sides of a 20 x 20 cm square baking dish with greaseproof paper.
- Melt the dairy-free spread, maple syrup and 300g of the peanut butter (reserve 40g for later) in a small saucepan over a gentle heat, stirring regularly until the mixture is liquid but not boiling.
- Blitz the oats and popcorn in a food processor a few times to break everything up slightly. Add the liquid peanut butter mixture to the processor and pulse again a couple of times to combine.
- Tip everything from the food processor into the prepared baking dish and press down and even the surface with a spatula. Cover and place in the fridge to chill for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl suspended over a pan of barely simmering water, making sure the base of the bowl doesn’t touch the surface of the water. Once the chocolate has melted, pour it over the peanut butter popcorn mixture.
- Immediately, heat the remaining peanut butter in a pan until it becomes a liquid but, again, not boiling. Use a teaspoon to dot the liquid peanut butter all over the surface of the chocolate, then use a knife to create an attractive swirl pattern over the top. Cover and return to the fridge for at least 2 hours before cutting into squares.
What is Whole Earth?
Whole Earth is an organic food supplier who makes tasty, wholesome food that’s good for you and good for the Earth. Their products include award-winning nut butters, refreshing natural drinks and toasted organic cereals which are sold in supermarkets and health food shops across the UK. Browse their full range.
Love this? Want to share your favourite gut-friendly treats? Get in touch.
Recipe credit: Whole Earth