Take the stress out of healthy eating with the plant-based and gluten-free Purition Pistachio blend, plus be in with the chance to win a 500g pack!
As a freelance journalist, health blogger, mother of two (admittedly, these are guinea pigs), a yoga convert, occasional runner, plus balancing my social life and sleep around all of that, I’m always looking for something nutritious, tasty and hunger-satisfying that is quick and simple to make but cares for my gut and provides the energy I need for my busy life. Too much to ask? Turns out it’s not. Purition’s recently improved Vegan Pistachio blend does exactly that.
Made with Californian pistachios and their new plant-based protein blend of European pea, hemp, organic sunflower and organic pumpkin, Purition claim Pistachio has an enhanced flavour and a naturally smoother finish. It is a meal containing whole-food ingredients that can be whipped up in just 30 seconds! It is also certified gluten-free making it extremely gut-friendly.
Pistachios are loaded with nutrients and an excellent source of protein and fibre. This helps to promote healthy gut bacteria by increasing the number of bacteria that produce beneficial short-chain fatty acids like butyrate. A 2012 study showed eating pistachios can increase the number of butyrate-producing bacteria in the gut to a greater extent than eating almonds, for instance. Short-chain fatty acids provide several health benefits, including a reduced risk of developing digestive disorders, cancer and heart disease.
Further, 100g of Purition Pistachio contains an impressive 85% of your daily recommended intake of manganese – a trace mineral which plays an important role in a variety of chemical processes in your body, including helping with the digestion and effective utilisation of protein and amino acidsas well as many vitamins such as choline, thiamine and vitamins C and E.
Despite Purition’s usual method to steer away from flavourings, it’s important to note that the Pistachio blend does contain a touch of natural flavourings and slightly more stevia than usual. They felt it was important to accentuate the flavour — the trade off for this is just 0.5% natural flavourings.
A 500g pouch, which includes approximately 10-12 servings, is available from Purition at £22.95. An original dairy blend is also available.
Here are three tasty tried-and-tested Pistachio Purition recipes for you to enjoy.
Pistachio and chocolate energy balls
Makes: approx 15 | Time: 30 minutes | Dietary attributes: dairy-free, gluten-free
If you have a sweet tooth, then you’ll love these! Naturally sweetened with dates, these bite-sized treats offer the perfect afternoon pick-me-up or speedy post-workout snack without being unhealthy. You might not have guessed but, in addition to being very nutritious, dates are high in fibre. Just a 3.5-ounce serving contains almost 7 grams of fibre which can benefit your digestive health by preventing constipation and encouraging regular bowel movements. One study showed that 21 people who consumed 7 dates per day for 21 days had a significant increase in bowel movements compared to when they did not eat dates. What’s more, they take barely any time to make and the leftovers will keep you going. You could even get the kids involved with rolling them in the cocoa or, of course, you can leave them plain. Just be prepared to deal with messy hands (and I’m not just talking about the kids)!
- 90g pistachios, hulled
- 14 Medjool dates, pitted
- 4 tbsp vegan cocoa powder, plus extra for topping (optional)
- 40g Vegan Purition Pistachio
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Soak the dates in warm water for about 10 minutes. Drain. This will make them easier to blend.
- Add the pistachios, cocoa powder, Vegan Purition Pistachio and salt to your food processor and pulse until finely ground.
- Next, add the vanilla and the softened Medjool dates. Pulse until a ball forms. If the mixture becomes too thick, add a splash of water. You want the mixture to be firm but not stiff.
- Take roughly 1 tbsp portions of the mixture and use the palms of your hands to roll them into balls. Roll the balls in cocoa powder to coat them, if desired.
- Enjoy immediately! Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
Recipe adapted from: showmetheyummy.com
Pistachio, maple and mango smoothie
Serves: 1 | Time: 1 minute | Dietary attributes: dairy-free, gluten-free
Combining delicious nuttiness with a hint of sweetness, this makes the perfect post-workout shake or on-the-go brekky. The addition of banana will give you a great energy boost. And according to experts, bananas soothe the gastrointestinal tract (GI tract) due to their high levels of pectin — a soluble fibre that regulates bowel function. Also, the resistant starch present in bananas has a prebiotic effect, helping to fuel gut bacteria and increase their production of short-chain fatty acids which are beneficial for digestion. Surprisingly, mangoes are also excellent for digestive health. The tropical fruit contains fibre and amylase, two nutrients that may relieve constipation and improve colon health. A fun, creative and healthy recipe which couldn’t be easier to make. What’s not to love?
- 40g Purition Pistachio
- 1/3 (20g) banana
- 1tsp pure maple syrup
- Handful (45g) of mango
- 200ml plant-based milk
- Combine the ingredients in a blender.
- Blitz until smooth. Serve.
TIP: Leave out the mango if you’re watching your sugar intake.
Recipe credit: purition.co.uk
Pistachio and cinnamon overnight oats
Serves: 1 | Time: 4 hours 5 minutes (including refrigeration time) | Dietary attributes: dairy-free, gluten-free
Before I tried this, I wasn’t a major pistachio-lover but paired with the banana, the nutty flavour makes this meal taste delicious! If you’re busy, this makes an ideal grab-and-go breakfast without skipping on the nutrients. It’ll see you through until lunchtime too. The oats will keep you full while cinnamon’s prebiotic properties promote the growth of beneficial bacteria in your gut. The fibre-rich chia seeds can help to reduce flare-ups of diverticulitis by reducing inflammation in the colon. Easy to make, convenient, gut-friendly and super yummy. Tuck in.
- 10g Purition Pistachio
- 40g gluten-free oats
- 1/2 large banana, plus extra for topping
- 70ml plant-based milk
- 3-4 tbsp plant-based yogurt
- 30g pistachios, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Only add 20g of the chopped pistachios to the mixture, reserving the other 10g for topping.
- Pour the mixture into a mason jar and put the lid on. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Before serving, add a splash of milk if the mixture seems too thick. Enjoy topped with the remaining chopped pistachios and more banana if desired.
Recipe adapted from: krollskorner.com
What is Purition?
Leaders in convenient nutrition, Purition is passionate about the importance of eating real food for health and wellness. The recipes within this list feature Vegan Purition Pistachio which is a unique low-sugar blend packed with naturally occurring vitamins and minerals, protein, fibre and whole-food fats. They offer a healthy, tasty and convenient way to gain protein and nutrition. Purchase Vegan Purition Pistachio or find out more on their website.
ENTRIES FOR THIS GIVEAWAY HAVE NOW CLOSED
One of you lucky lot could be in with the chance of winning a whole 500g pouch of Vegan Purition Pistachio worth £22.95! All you have to do is enter via either of the below methods.
- Visit The Gut Choice page and comment on the giveaway post with an answer to the following question: What are pistachios an excellent source of? (Clue you need to read the blog post).
- If you’d like to give The Gut Choice and/or Purition page a like or follow please do. It’s not compulsory, but it would mean the world!
- Also, please feel free to share the giveaway post. Again, this isn’t mandatory but a great way to encourage happy tummies among your Facebook friends and family.
Bonus – one entry per platform per person is allowed. This means if you enter on both platforms, you are in with two chances of winning!
Entries close at 11.59PM (London GMT) Saturday 14th November.
One winner will be chosen at random from all the entries received.
Giveaway Terms & Conditions:
- Giveaway entries open 10.30am (London GMT) Saturday 7th November and close at 11.59 PM (London GMT) Saturday 14th November.
- Open to all residents of the United Kingdom except for anyone connected with thegutchoice.com.
- There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
- This competition is being run on Facebook and Twitter.
- For Facebook entry, leave a comment on the giveaway post answering the following question: what are pistachios an excellent source of? For Twitter entry, follow @TheGutChoice and @puritionuk and retweet and like the giveaway post.
- The prize is 1 x 500g pouch of Vegan Purition Pistachio.
- Only one entry will be accepted per person per social platform. A maximum of 2 entries (that meet the acceptance criteria) will be accepted per person (maximum 1 entry on Facebook, maximum 1 entry on Twitter) anyone attempting to enter multiple times on the same social platform will be disqualified.
- Anyone found to use multiple accounts on the same social platform to enter will be ineligible.
- People who already follow @TheGutChoice and @puritionuk on Facebook, @TheGutChoice and @puritionuk on Twitter are still eligible to enter but must complete the other entry requirements – as outlined above – in order for their entry to be accepted.
- One winner will be selected at random from all entries received.
- The winner will be notified via DM on the social platform on which they entered – within 7 days of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 7 days of notification, the giveaway will be redrawn.
- Winner must provide full name and postal address to The Gut Choice. The name and address will need to be disclosed to a third party (Highlight PR) in order for them to distribute the prize.
- 500g Vegan Purition Pistachio will be sent via 1st class post to the winner.
- No alternative prize or cash substitute is offered.
- This giveaway is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other Social Network.
- Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- The Gut Choice cannot accept any responsibility for entries not received for any reason.
- The winner will be solely responsible for any additional costs or expenses incurred.
- The Gut Choice cannot be held responsible for any delays.
- The winner’s name will be available 28 days after closing date by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The winner agrees to the use of his/her name (or handle) in any publicity material, as well as their entry. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.
Love these? Want to share your fave pistachio recipes? Get in touch.