This World Digestive Health Day, we’re sharing two nutritious recipes that are both flavoursome and super-simple. Plus, be in with the chance to win a special ingredient
“It may sound absurd, but I can’t put my magical taste into words.
“I’m a landslide of flavour, that much is clear; the saviour that all broths and stir-fries hold dear…”
This is the mysteriously accurate description of Kallo’s Organic Umami stock cubes and one of the products I’ve been lucky enough to trial recently. The other being their Organic Vegetable stock cubes. Why have I trialled these?
Today is World Digestive Health Day and this year’s theme is ‘Obesity: An Ongoing Pandemic.’ In 2021, the World Gastroenterology Organisation aim to raise awareness of obesity and its impact on the development of diseases and medical conditions and, subsequently, life expectancy. After it emerged over the past year that obesity is linked to an increased risk of adverse COVID-19 outcomes, I think we all have a renewed understanding of the importance of healthy eating.
Following a balanced healthy diet is central to maintaining not only good overall health but a healthy digestive system and good gut health.
I want to prove that it is possible to create healthy meals that are both delicious and easy to make.
So who better to partner with than Kallo — an organic food brand who believe: ‘eating sensibly shouldn’t mean saying no to the things you love — and that super-tasty food can be super-simple too.’
All of Kallo’s products, including these stock cubes, are made completely from natural ingredients and are free from artificial colours, flavours or preservatives, with no added MSG. Both stock cubes are also vegetarian and vegan-friendly as well as lactose and gluten-free. You can purchase them via their website.
Here are two tried and tested flavour-packed recipes, created using the stock cubes, that are Insta-worthy. I’d love to hear what you think of them; please feel free to leave a comment below. And, don’t forget to scroll down to enter the giveaway! Bon appétit…
Quick chickpea, spring green and coconut curry
Serves: 4 | Cooking time: 20 minutes | Dietary attributes: gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian
A perfect dish for this time of year when you want to move away from warming winter meals but still need a little heat. Packed with bright green colour and flavoursome, thanks to the Vegetable stock cube, this dish screams springtime. The coconut gives it a nice creaminess while the spring greens provide freshness. It’s also very nutritious; the cabbage supports a healthy digestive system. It’s both rich in insoluble fibre, which promotes regular bowel movements, and soluble fibre which has been proven to increase the number of beneficial bacteria in the gut. Meanwhile, chickpeas are a good source of fibre that boost digestive health. Plus, it takes barely any time at all to get this curry to your table!
- 4-6 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400ml coconut milk
- 1 Kallo Organic Vegetable Stock Cube, dissolved in 300ml boiling water
- 2-3 tbsp curry powder (to taste)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 480g cooked chickpeas (2 tins, drained weight)
- 2 large heads of spring greens, stalks discarded and finely sliced (or 1/2 head tenderheart cabbage, plus large handful of spinach and large handful of kale)
- 200g baby plum tomatoes, halved
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A little fresh coriander
- Lemon wedges
- Wholegrain brown rice to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the spring onions over a medium heat for about 2 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and fry for a further minute before pouring in the coconut milk and stock, stirring well to mix.
- Stir through the curry powder, sugar and chickpeas. Bring to the boil, season with a little salt and pepper, cover with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the greens and tomatoes, stirring well to coat them in the sauce. Re-cover with the lid and cook for a further 5-8 minutes or until the greens are tender but with a little bite.
- Sprinkle with coriander, then serve with lemon wedges to squeeze over and plain rice on the side.
Recipe adapted from kallo.com
Hearty sweet potato, avocado and quinoa salad
Serves: 2 | Cooking time: 30 minutes | Dietary attributes: gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian
This has got to be one of the tastiest and most satisfying salads I have ever eaten! And, it’s no surprise with a core ingredient being umami, which translates as ‘essence of deliciousness’ in Japanese. Not only yummy in broths and stir-fries, but it is also the perfect addition to a salad and is renowned for the richness and depth of flavour it adds. The array of ingredients means this salad is full of goodness, textures and flavours too. The omega-3 fatty acids in avocado help to combat stress which can contribute to gut disruption. Plus, sweet potatoes are high in fibre which feeds the good bacteria in your gut and helps to alleviate constipation, diarrhoea and bloating. What’s more, you could use any leftovers for an energising lunch the next day. Who says healthy salads have to be light and boring?
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Kallo Organic Umami Stock Cube
- 80g quinoa
- 1 avocado
- 250g cooked Puy lentils
- 100g sliced kale leaves
- 120g edamame beans
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 large orange
- 1 tbsp pomegranate jewels
- Firstly, preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Peel the sweet potato and cut it into 2cm chunks. Spread the chunks across a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the tray in the oven and roast for 25-30 minutes until tender.
- While the sweet potato is roasting, rinse the quinoa and cook according to packet instructions with the stock cube. Also, toast the pumpkin seeds in a dry pan.
- Then, prepare the remaining ingredients. Destalk the kale, then place the edamame beans in a sieve and rinse under hot water until defrosted.
- Halve, destone, peel and slice the avocado.
- Next, put the salad together. Add the beans to a large mixing bowl along with the lentils and kale and toss gently to combine. Then, add the quinoa and the sweet potato to the bowl and gently mix.
- Squeeze the juice of the orange over the salad. Drizzle over the remaining olive oil and toss everything together.
- Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds and pomegranate jewels on top. Divide the salad between two bowls, top evenly with avocado and serve.
Recipe adapted from kallo.com
Love these? Want to share your fave healthy recipes? Get in touch.
What is World Digestive Health Day?
World Digestive Health Day (WDHD) is celebrated each year on 29 May by the World Gastroenterology Organisation (WGO) who initiate a yearlong, worldwide, public health campaign. Each year focuses on a particular digestive disease and/or disorder with the goal to increase public awareness of prevention, prevalence, diagnosis, management and treatment of the disease and/or disorder. Past topics have included optimal health and nutrition, irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease, clean food and a clean environment, liver cancer and gut microbes. Click here for details about events being held and how you can support this year’s campaign.
ENTRIES FOR THIS GIVEAWAY HAVE NOW CLOSED
To mark World Digestive Health Day, Kallo has kindly provided me with one pack of Organic Umami Stock Cubes and one pack of Organic Vegetable Stock Cubes to giveaway to one lucky The Gut Choice reader. Simply subscribe to thegutchoice.com via email, like this post and leave a comment telling me your favourite springtime recipe, then enter via Rafflecopter below*. Good luck!
Entries close at 12AM (BST) Sunday 13th June 2021. UK only.
One winner will be chosen at random from all the entries received.
Giveaway Terms & Conditions:
- Giveaway entries open 12am (BST) Saturday 29th May and close at 12am (BST) Sunday 13th June 2021.
- Open to all residents of the United Kingdom except for anyone connected with thegutchoice.com.
- There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this competition.
- This competition is being run on thegutchoice.com.
- All entrants must subscribe to thegutchoice.com via email, like this blog post and leave a comment on this blog post sharing their favourite springtime recipe.
- The prize is 1 x pack Kallo Organic Umami Stock Cubes and 1 x pack Kallo Organic Vegetable Stock Cubes.
- Only one entry will be accepted per person per platform. A maximum of 3 entries (that meet the acceptance criteria) will be accepted per person (maximum 1 entry on thegutchoice.com, maximum 1 entry on Twitter, maximum 1 entry on Instagram). Anyone attempting to enter multiple times on the same platform will be disqualified.
- Anyone found to use multiple accounts on the same platform to enter will be ineligible.
- People who already subscribe to thegutchoice.com via email or follow @TheGutChoice on Twitter or follow @kallo on Instagram are still eligible to enter but must complete the other entry requirements — as outlined above — in order for their entry to be accepted.
- One winner will be selected at random via Rafflecopter.
- The winner will be notified within 7 days of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 7 days of notification, the giveaway will be redrawn.
- Winner must provide full name and postal address to The Gut Choice in order to distribute the prize.
- 1 x pack Kallo Organic Umami Stock Cubes and 1 x pack Kallo Organic Vegetable Stock Cubes will be sent via 2nd class post to the winner.
- No alternative prize or cash substitute is offered.
- This giveaway is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with any other person or social platform.
- Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions.
- The Gut Choice cannot accept any responsibility for entries not received for any reason.
- The winner will be solely responsible for any additional costs or expenses incurred.
- The Gut Choice cannot be held responsible for any delays.
- The winner’s name will be available 28 days after closing date by contacting email@example.com.
- The winner agrees to the use of his/her name (or handle) in any publicity material, as well as their entry. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.
This post & giveaway is a promotion in association with Kallo. I was gifted my stock cubes in exchange for this post. All views on the stock cubes I received are my own.